Tikkun Olam Committee
About the Tikkun Olam Committee
Kehilat Nitzan strives to combine in its activities the three pillars upon which the world stands: Torah (study), avodah (ritual), and gemilut chasadim (acts of loving-kindness).
Our Tikkun Olam committee works in a number of areas to promote the concept of gemilut chasadim in its broadest sense. These include support for members of our own kehila (community) as well as providing aid and working for social justice within both the Jewish and the wider Australian communities, and encouraging interfaith dialogue.
Current / upcoming programs include:
- Hosting a morning tea in support of Cancer Council Australia (date TBC May 2019) If you’ld like to participate, contact Fran Feldman
- Providing fruit and veg vouchers for individuals and families via Jewish Care
- Supporting Kosher Meals on Wheels supporting food packs during Passover and Rosh Hasanah
Long standing programs Nitzanim Singers and Food Van.
Over the years our volunteers have:
- Collected and distributed holiday gifts, clothes, and food baskets for both Jewish and non-Jewish families in need
- Packed and provided ‘starter’ packs (kitchen / toiletries) for individuals and families via Jewish Care
- Met with members of the Turkish Moslem community to celebrate Succot (Tabernacles) and Iftar (the fast-breaking meal of Ramadan) through the AIS (Australian Intercultural Society)
- Distributed Tsedakah (charity) collection tins to our own Kehilah
Volunteers are the heart and soul of our programs.
Do you want to help with any of the above events?
Do you have an idea for a program, or a one-off activity?
Would you like to meet with like-minded people and make a difference to the world around you?
To get involved contact Fran Feldman.
Food for mourners
Our volunteers deliver (Sunday to Thursday) a pre-packaged meal to members in mourning. If you want to be on the roster, contact Fran Feldman.