Our services are traditional egalitarian, with both women and men participating equally. We use the Conservative movement’s Siddur Sim Shalom prayerbook.
Erev Shabbat (Friday evening) services are Carlebach style with lots of singing and musical instruments (depending on the time of year). The service starts at 6 pm and lasts no longer than an hour.
Shabbat morning services start at 9:30 am, usually finishing around 12pm, with a kiddush following the service. Note that Kehilat Nitzan follows a triennial cycle for Torah reading.
Audio files – You can listen to or download audio files that provide our congregation’s version of Shabbat prayers sung by our first rabbi, Rabbi Ehud Bandel, including songs from our musical Friday night services.
If you want to help lead parts of our service, contact our gabbai, Sammy Pinkus.
High Holiday Schedule
Rosh Hashanah Worship Services – September 20, 21 & 22
- Erev Rosh Hashanah – 6:15 pm
- 1st Day Rosh Hashanah – 9 am
- Erev 2nd day Rosh Hashanah – 7 pm
- 2nd day Rosh Hashanah – 9 am
Shabbat Shuvah Services – September 22/23
- Erev Shabbat Shuvah (September 22) – 6:15 pm
- Shabbat Shuvah (September 19) – 9:30 am
Yom Kippur Worship Services – September 29/30
- Kol Nidre – 6 pm – Please arrive promptly as services will begin at 6 pm sharp
- Yom Kippur morning – 9 am
- Yizkor – 11:30 am (approximately)
- Yom Kippur Mincha – 4:00 pm
- Neilah finishes – 6 pm; Shofar blowing at 7:20 pm
Children’s Activities and Child-Minding
Children’s services and activities:
For the first day of Rosh Hashanah, September 21, and Yom Kippur, September 30, children’s services and activities take place at The Church of the Latter Day Saints, 5 Hawthorn Road, Caulfield North, approximately 150 metres north of Kehilat Nitzan:
- Children’s/family service: 9:30 am
Child-minding at the shul:
- For both days of Rosh Hashanah and on Yom Kippur, child-minding is available at the shul from 9:15 am to 1:15 pm on both days of Rosh Hashanah and on Yom Kippur.
- For Kol Nidre, child-minding and children’s services are available from 7 – 9:30 pm.